Tuesday, July 22, 2008

7/22

Still recovering from an absolutely kick butt weekend.  This past weekend was the Eureka Springs Fat Tire Festival.  I raced in the sport women's class, got myself totally kicked up one side and down the other--and boy was it great.  It has been several years since I have done any racing, I did not realize how much I missed the competition.  Being fat and out of shape, the competitive side could not be properly addressed.  It will take some time, if I can keep on track the rest of the year with the same kind of riding I have done the past month, that would be nice.

Friday was the short track race, short means short.  Each lap was about six tenths of a mile, with a little, fast down hill.  The women started with the men and we raced by our experience level.  I got dead last, but loved every minute of the race.  It is a good feeling to remind yourself you have a body that is supposed to be active and pushed to its limits.  I have not done this in a long time.  

Saturday was the children's ride and the pre-ride of the XC course.  The boys did awesome on the ride, along with four other young men.  To bad there were not any young women.  The pre-ride later in the day went well, although I am glad that we did not pre-ride the whole thing, I might not have competed on the Sunday race.  Let's just say that there are a few climbs.

Sunday was the race.  Started off well, stayed with some of the women, always my goal to keep in touch.  It worked out until the flat.  Fortunately I had all my tools with me, I wished I had left my extra thumbs at home.  At any rate, got back under way.  The race was about eighteen miles long, with about 6 good climbs, most of which I walked.  Gotta get started somewhere, even if you have to walk.  Lots of time to think.  By the time I was finished I was afraid the officials were going to tell me that I wasn't really finished and would need to ride a little more.  You know what made the weekend even more special, getting to spend it with my parents and the boys.  My dad is a racer and racing together reminded me of the countless races we went on ten-fifteen years ago.

No comments: